2018 EDWIN MARSH MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS
PLEASE DISTRIBUTE TO MEMBERSHIP
1. Two (2) scholarships will be awarded to two high school seniors or graduates that have been accepted as full-time students in a college or university for the 2018-2019 academic year. The value of each scholarship is $1,000.00. Each applicant must be a dependent child of a member of a local building trades union in good standing with the Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council.
2. The winners will be selected from all entrants who submit two (2) short essays on the following topics:
A. What specific strategies and techniques can Indiana's Building Trades Unions implement in high schools today to attract more aspiring apprentices?
B. Most building trades apprenticeships offer an associate’s degree upon completion of an apprenticeship. As a member of the iGen/Generation Z, does an associate’s degree provide extra value to an aspiring apprentice? Why or why not?"
3. Each essay should be between 300 and 750 words in length, be typewritten, double-spaced, and follow APA guidelines for formatting style.
4. Entries MUST include: a cover sheet with the student’s name, mailing address, e-mail address, name of university or college which they plan to attend, their relationship to a building trades union member, and the name of the local union of which that person is a member.
6. Entries MUST be received by 4:30 p.m. EDT, Thursday, July 12, 2018. Entries received after this time will not be considered.
7. When received, each essay will be assigned a number. A master list will show the number and the name of the person submitting the essay. The review committee will NOT see the name of the applicant or the cover sheet accompanying the essay. Any personal information included within the essay will be redacted. Therefore, the review committee makes their selection based solely on the content of the essay.
8. All essays submitted shall become the property of the Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council and entrants give express permission for publication of all entries including the name of each author.
9. The Executive Board of the Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council shall administer this scholarship program, and its decision shall be final.
10. Selection of scholarship recipients will be announced on or after August 6, 2018. Winners will be notified by mail. Those not winning will be notified via e-mail.