OCTOBER NEWS FOR THE MEMBERSHIP
OF LOCAL 4 IN/KY
Local 4’s next Statewide Meeting will take place October 25, 2014 at the Indianapolis Hall located on 8455 Moller Road. Meeting will start at 10 AM with Nominations of officers for Local 4 IN/KY, which will serve for the next three years.
It’s hard to believe that it’s been three years since the last nominations. I believe that we have good officers in place today that have the best interest of Local 4 IN/KY members in each and every decision they make! Here are just a few examples that have taken place under my leadership and these officers:
- Anderson office went from two (2) full time support staff to one Office Manager.
- Eliminated one full time Field Rep
- Started taking Credit and Debit Cards @ the Anderson office for payment of dues from the membership.
- All Field Staff took hourly pay cuts that remain in effect as of today.
- Field Staff took a 20% cut in hours, 32 hours pay and benefits to balance the budget including myself. Yet still answered the phones on Friday to keep serving you the membership.
- Membership used to pay Field Staff’s monthly dues this was stopped and all (including President) pays their own monthly dues.
- Local 4 IN/KY budget has either been balanced or in the positive eight (8) of the last nine (9) years. This being done by making the hard decisions that has to be made to balance the budget.
- Implemented a Random Auditing program to make sure you the membership gets all the pay and or benefits that you should be receiving. This Auditing Program has recovered over 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS that you the member were shorted either in benefits or in your hourly pay.
- Worked very close with IMI, Contractors, Laborers and Suppliers to form a Masonry Coalition. Main purpose of this Coalition is to put all forms of masonry back in buildings. As of today this Masonry Coalition has created over 75,000 man hours for the membership of Local 4 IN/KY.
- Merged the Health and Welfare into a better plan for the following chapters: Evansville, Louisville, Lafayette, South Bend, Fort Wayne and Muncie. This merger has benefited the members of these chapters by giving them as good or better medical insurance. It also, added eye and dental insurance and all this for the same premium price per month. Also, with what is called a look back on hours it also made it easier for members to qualify for future insurance coverage. This is a very good plan for the members in these chapters.
- Implemented the information policy that sends information back to you the membership to keep you informed of what is happening in Local 4 IN/KY.
- Purchased three (3) buildings one in Fort Wayne, Muncie and Indianapolis. If you take what Local 4 was paying in rent on the Fort Wayne building it will be paid for in less than five (5) years from time of purchase. The Muncie building will be paid for in less than three (3) years from time of purchase. Our Indianapolis Hall was a basic swap from the old building to the new building. All the furniture in the new Indianapolis Hall was included in the purchase of the building, since the building was a repo. Each building is a lot nicer and bigger building.
- Last and by no means least, give the membership the right to vote on a new Market Recovery Policy that will help pick up market share which will give you the membership and our contractors more work opportunities in the future.
These are just a few of the changes that have been implemented for the betterment of Local 4 and its membership. I assure you this that under my leadership and these officers we will not dwell on our past achievements, but will continue to work for future achievements to make Local 4 IN/KY better for all its membership.
Anderson office again has gone from two to one office personal. The office only has three phone lines and one cell phone, so if you call please understand that this person not only handles the phones but has to muti-task: bank, dues, credit cards, supplies, ect. So if you call and get no answer PLEASE leave a short message and your phone CALL will be returned ASAP. Just your name and number is all that’s needed and your call will be returned. If for some reason (sick, vacation, ect) there will be no one in the office then the recorded message will be changed to keep you the membership informed.
Let me again say THANKS to those members that took part in the process of voting on the new Market Recovery Program that will be going into effect Jan. 1, 2015. President Champ and the officers of Local 4 appreciates the vote of confidence and will make the program fair and equal for all members of Local 4 IN/KY.
No one has a crystal ball or knows what issues will have to be addressed in the future, but I assure you this under my Leadership and this Management Committee we are up to all challenges that lie ahead. We will never forget who we work for and what you the membership go through everyday. I truly want to thank you the membership for having the confidence not only in me but the officers of Local 4 IN/KY for allowing us the pleasure of serving you! It’s truly an honor and again we will continue to serve you and never forget that without you the membership there is no Local 4 IN/KY.